The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) administers one set of laws for heavy vehicles under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL), delivering a comprehensive range of services under a consistent regulatory framework.
The national law commenced on 10 February 2014 and applies in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.
The NHVR is responsible for:
- National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme management and accreditations
- Performance-Based Standards Scheme vehicle design and access approvals
- heavy vehicle access permit applications
- heavy vehicle standards modifications and exemption permits
- a national driver work diary and risk classification system for advanced fatigue management
- one set of national notices
- one set of national fees for NHVR services
- one set of national penalties.