A new National Class 2 Heavy Vehicle B-double Notice commenced on 1 February 2019. This notice delivered a streamlined version of previous notices and reduced and harmonised the number of conditions with which operators need to comply.
Please note the following supporting documents for this notice:
- National Class 2 B-double Operator’s Guide (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Operation of Class 2 B-Double and Road Train Combinations in South Australia info sheet (PDF, 233KB)
The NHVR conducted an analysis and comparison of the existing national and transitional notices to produce a project scope statement and a comparative analysis. These documents provided the basis for identifying key issues to be addressed in developing a nationally harmonised B-double notice. The following paper addressed these key issues by proposing solutions to eliminate access inconsistencies experienced by operators.
- Attachment 1 - B-double comparative analysis (XLSX, 120KB)
- Attachment 2 - Gazetted B-double networks (PPTX, 235KB)
Draft key positions
Clearly defined positions were developed for all key issues underlying the development of the issues paper, including:
- ACT to allow 19 metre long B-doubles general access to align with general access requirements applied in Vic, Qld and NSW.
- 50 tonne mass limit for general access B-doubles.
- General access bridge formulae to be applied nationally to all general access B-double operations up to a total combination mass of 50 tonnes.
- Jurisdictions to enforce the XY rule (balanced clear space rule) only on tri-tri B-doubles with a total gross combination mass exceeding 52.5 tonnes.
- Qld, NSW and SA to reassess their existing 23 metre B-double network to be consolidated into their 25/26 metre B-double network.
- SA to consider incorporating their nine commodity routes into a single 25/26 metre B-double network.
- Jurisdictions to adopt and align their 25/26 metre B-double network with their PBS Level 2A network.
- Removal of SA state specific inspection and label requirements.
- Use of flexible warning signs subject to certain conditions.