Changes to heavy vehicle registration are being progressively introduced to benefit industry by introducing common practices, processes and fees, making it easier and cheaper to operate by reducing cross-border red tape and fleet-management administrative costs.
The first of these changes will be rolled out from 1 July 2018 and will include the following initiatives:
- a new national heavy vehicle plate and nationally consistent plate fee in participating states and territories (jurisdictions)
- more jurisdictions removing heavy vehicle registration labels
- the option for fleet operators across all jurisdictions to set common registration expiry dates.
In addition, from 1 October 2018, operators will have free read-only access to fleet registration details on our digital platform - the NHVR Portal.
- Common questions about heavy vehicle registration changes (PDF, 104KB)
- Heavy vehicle registration changes fact sheet (PDF, 732KB)
For information about changes to FIRS, please:
- visit https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/firs/index.aspx
- call the FIRS phone line on 1800 026 170 during business hours (or leave a message with contact details)
- email FIRS@infrastructure.gov.au
For enquiries about how other heavy vehicle registration changes may impact you, please contact your state or territory transport authority on the phone number listed below:
|NSW||13 22 13|
|VIC||13 11 71|
|QLD||13 23 80|
|WA||13 11 56|
|SA||13 10 84|
|TAS||1300 135 513|
|NT||1300 654 628|
|ACT||13 22 81|