New Primary Duty laws in 2018
On 1 October 2018, the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) will be amended to provide that every party in the heavy vehicle transport supply chain has a duty to ensure the safety of their transport activities. In practical terms, this primary duty represents an obligation to eliminate or minimise potential harm or loss (risk) by doing all that is reasonably practicable to ensure safety. As a party in the supply chain, the best way to do this is to have safety management systems and controls in place, such as business practices, training, procedures and review processes that:
- identify, assess, evaluate, and control risk
- manage compliance with speed, fatigue, mass, dimension, loading and vehicle standards requirements through identified best practice
- involve regular reporting, including to executive officers
- document or record actions taken to manage safety.
The NHVR has further information sessions for industry planned in the next couple of months. Details and links to register for these sessions will be published on this page shortly.
COR Gap Assessment Tool
Through a series of practical questions, the CoR Gap Assessment Tool enables you to examine your business practices and systems controls against known risks and recognised best practice.
CoR Building capability
The NHVR held a number of information sessions across Australia to help build the capability to identify risks associated your business' transport activities and understand how safety management systems can assist you to manage that risk and comply with your obligations under the HVNL. A video recording of one of the info sessions as well as copies of the presentations delivered can be viewed below.
- CoR presentation - Changes to Change of Responsibility (PDF, 1.5MB)
- CoR presentation - Capability by Design (PDF, 2.8MB)
- CoR presentation - Philosophy of CoR (PDF, 1.8MB)
Is your business ready? Are you ready?
If you are part of the supply chain, make sure you are aware of your role and responsibilities.
- CoR checklist (PDF, 107KB) - Use this checklist for the tasks you undertake in your role to see if you are a party in the transport supply chain under the HVNL.
- Know your role (PDF, 1.1MB) - New CoR laws are a significant step forward in recognising that everyone in the supply chain has a role to play in ensuring heavy vehicle safety.
- COR - Consignees (PDF, 180KB)
- COR - Consignors (PDF, 159KB)
- COR - Employers (PDF, 119KB)
- COR - Executive Officers (PDF, 118KB)
- COR - Loaders/Unloaders (PDF, 201KB)
- COR - Loading Managers (PDF, 167KB)
- COR - Local Government (PDF, 304KB)
- COR - Operators (PDF, 177KB)
- COR - Packers (PDF, 171KB)
- COR - Primary Producers (PDF, 902KB)
- COR - Primary Producers common questions (PDF, 320KB)
- CoR - Primary Producers more common questions (PDF, 739KB)
- COR - Prime Contractors (PDF, 163KB)
- COR - Schedulers (PDF, 148KB)
- New CoR laws are coming
- COR forum - Chain of responsibility in 2018
- CoR - Parties in the supply chain
- Chain of Responsibility advice to primary producers
- Chain of Responsibility advice to farmers