New Primary Duty laws in 2018
In mid 2018,the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) will be amended to provide that every party in the heavy vehicle transport supply chain has a duty to ensure the safety of their transport activities. In practical terms, this primary duty represents an obligation to eliminate or minimise potential harm or loss (risk) by doing all that is reasonably practicable to ensure safety. As a party in the supply chain, the best way to do this is to have safety management systems and controls in place, such as business practices, training, procedures and review processes that:
- identify, assess, evaluate, and control risk
- manage compliance with speed, fatigue, mass, dimension, loading and vehicle standards requirements through identified best practice
- involve regular reporting, including to executive officers
- document or record actions taken to manage safety.
Based on the CoR parties defined under the HVNL, the CoR Gap Assessment Tool enables companies, businesses and individuals to choose their role/s in the supply chain, and better understand their obligations.
This guide will familiarise you with risk management and help you begin to establish and refine your own processes for identifying, assessing and managing risks in your heavy vehicle transport activities.
A Safety Management System is an organised set of resources and activities integrated into your business practices that work together to increase the safety of all personnel and those impacted by their work practices.
CoR Building capability
The NHVR held a number of information sessions across Australia to help build the capability to identify risks associated your business' transport activities and understand how safety management systems can assist you to manage that risk and comply with your obligations under the HVNL. A video recording of one of the info sessions as well as copies of the presentations delivered can be viewed below.
Is your business ready? Are you ready?
If you are part of the supply chain, make sure you are aware of your role and responsibilities.
New CoR laws are a significant step forward in recognising that everyone in the supply chain has a role to play in ensuring heavy vehicle safety.
Use this checklist for the tasks you undertake in your role to see if you are a party in the transport supply chain under the HVNL.
- Consignees - CoR (PDF, 180KB)
- Consignors - CoR (PDF, 159KB)
- Employers - CoR (PDF, 119KB)
- Executive Officers - CoR (PDF, 118KB)
- Loaders/Unloaders - CoR (PDF, 201KB)
- Loading Managers - CoR (PDF, 167KB)
- Operators - CoR (PDF, 177KB)
- Packers - CoR (PDF, 171KB)
- Prime Contractors - CoR (PDF, 163KB)
- Schedulers - CoR (PDF, 148KB)
- New CoR laws are coming
- COR forum - Chain of responsibility in 2018
- CoR - Parties in the supply chain