New Primary Duty laws
On 1 October 2018, the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) was amended to provide that every party in the heavy vehicle transport supply chain has a duty to ensure the safety of their transport activities. In practical terms, this primary duty represents an obligation to eliminate or minimise potential harm or loss (risk) by doing all that is reasonably practicable to ensure safety. As a party in the supply chain, the best way to do this is to have safety management systems and controls in place, such as business practices, training, procedures and review processes that:
- identify, assess, evaluate, and control risk
- manage compliance with speed, fatigue, mass, dimension, loading and vehicle standards requirements through identified best practice
- involve regular reporting, including to executive officers
- document or record actions taken to manage safety.
CoR and Safety Management Systems Information Sessions
The NHVR is holding industry information sessions across the country to explain the changes to CoR, the impact on your business and how a Safety Management System can help you effectively manage your operation’s safety risks.
|Done||Qld||27 Feb||4-5pm AEST||Goondiwindi||The Sundial Events Centre|
|Done||Vic||27 Feb||10-11am AEDT||Hoppers Crossing||Plaza Tavern|
|Done||Qld||4 Mar||10-11am AEST||Cairns||Rydges Plaza|
|Done||NSW||6 Mar||2-3pm AEDT||Taree||Taree Entertainment Centre|
|Done||Qld||7 Mar||10-11am AEST||Emerald||Maraboon Tavern|
|Done||NSW||12 Mar||11am-12pm AEDT||Bega||Bega Country Club|
|Done||Vic||13 Mar||6-7pm AEDT||Swan Hill||Town Hall - Auditorium|
|Done||SA||13 Mar||10-11am ACDT||Riverland||Berri Hotel|
|Done||Vic||20 Mar||12-1pm AEDT||Portland||Civic Centre|
|Register||NSW||27 Mar||2-3pm AEDT||Sydney||Novotel Sydney West HQ|
|Register||SA||27 Mar||10-11am ACDT||Port Augusta||Central Augusta Football and Community Sporting Club Inc.|
|Register||NSW||28 Mar||12-1pm AEDT||Tamworth||West Diggers Leagues Club|
CoR and Safety Management Systems video presentation
1. Safety Duties and CoR
2. Safety Management Systems
3. SMS Tools and Templates
4. Codes of Practice and accreditation schemes
CoR Gap Assessment Tool
Through a series of practical questions, the CoR Gap Assessment Tool enables you to examine your business practices and systems controls against known risks and recognised best practice.
Safety Management Systems
- Introduction to risk management (PDF, 424KB) - This guide will familiarise you with risk management and help you begin to establish and refine your own processes for identifying, assessing and managing risks in your heavy vehicle transport activities.
- SMS fact sheet (PDF, 269KB) - A Safety Management System is a systematic approach to managing safety, including the necessary organisational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures, which is integrated throughout the business wherever possible.
For more information see the following section of our website, Safety Management Systems (SMS).
- CoR presentation March 2017 - Changes to Change of Responsibility (PDF, 1.5MB)
- CoR presentation October 2017 - Capability by Design (PDF, 2.8MB)
- CoR presentation January 2018 - Philosophy of CoR (PDF, 1.8MB)
- CoR presentation August 2018 - CoR and Safety Management Systems (PDF, 2.0MB)