EWDs will improve safety and significantly reduce the administrative burden for the Heavy Vehicle industry through:
- improved data accuracy and transparency for drivers, transport operators and authorised officers
- provision of real time data, enabling transport operators to respond immediately to actual breaches and monitor performance over time
- in-vehicle driver information, enabling drivers to plan their work and rest and take action when alerted to an imminent or actual breach.
EWDs will also:
- allow a simpler way for drivers of fatigue-regulated vehicles to record their work and rest information
- allow drivers, transport operators and authorised officers to more easily review past work and rest records to ensure compliance with fatigue laws
- automatically pre-populate some records to reduce the amount of time it takes for drivers to manually record work and rest information
- reduce the administrative burden for operators and drivers
- assist transport operators to monitor their business and improve their fatigue risk management.