The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is Australia’s regulator for all heavy vehicles.
We were established in 2013 as an statutory authority pursuant to the Heavy Vehicle National Law.
Our vision is to have: A safe, efficient and productive heavy vehicle industry serving the needs of Australia.
We aim to achieve this by:
- minimising the compliance burden
- reducing duplication of and inconsistencies in heavy vehicle regulation across state and territory borders
- providing leadership and driving sustainable improvement to safety, productivity and efficiency outcomes.
We are headquartered in Brisbane and currently employ 353 people across Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Launceston and Melbourne. We have a direct regulatory relationship with more than:
- 40,000 road freight businesses
- 900,000 vehicles
- 500 road managers
- 1,000 authorised officers.
Some state road transport authorities and other government agencies deliver various frontline services on our behalf. These arrangements are formalised through service agreements and appropriate delegations.