Requesting information (RTI request)

The NHVR provides a range of information to the community on our website. However, if you have been unable to obtain access to information through our publication scheme or by talking to the NHVR, you may wish to make an application under the Right to Information Act 2009. The Right to Information Act 2009 provides a formal means of obtaining documents held by government and regulatory bodies.

Please note: For general enquiries please contact the NHVR first before making an RTI request.

You can contact a NHVR Right to Information (RTI) officer by phone on 136 487 or by email to to discuss a request for information.

The NHVR RTI officer can tell you if the information you seek is accessible through an administrative release process or if you need to make an RTI or Information Privacy (IP) request. The NHVR is committed to protecting personal information and complying with all applicable privacy laws and we only release information where authorised to do so.

Administrative release

The administrative release process is an easier and quicker alternative to submitting formal RTI or IP applications.

There is no application fee associated with making an administrative release request, however the NHVR reserves the right to impose fees to reproduce or provide access to the information.

RTI request

You can make an RTI request for any document that we hold by completing a Right to Information and Information Privacy Access Application (PDF, 171KB).

The fees payable in relation to an application can be found at Documents released under an RTI request are available in our Disclosure log.

IP request

You can only make an IP request for a document that has your own personal information in it by completing a Right to Information and Information Privacy Access Application (PDF, 171KB).

There is no application fee for making an IP request, however you will need to provide evidence of your identity (e.g. a certified copy of your driver licence). The NHVR may not be able to give you access to all of the documents you ask for, as some documents are exempt from release.

Amend personal information

Under the Information Privacy Act 2009 you can also apply for an amendment to a document that contains your personal information, if that document contains information that is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading by completing a Information Privacy Personal Information Amendment Application (PDF, 132KB).

How to apply

Send your completed application to the NHVR via:

Post: Privacy/RTI Officer
National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
PO Box 492
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006