Do I need an agricultural vehicle permit?
You may need to apply for a class 1 agricultural vehicle permit if your agricultural vehicle or agricultural combination does not comply with mass, dimension or operating requirements set out in a gazette notice.
To apply for an agricultural vehicle permit:
- for travel within ACT/SA/Tas/Vic - apply through the NHVR Portal.
- for travel within NSW - apply through the NHVR Portal or apply directly to Roads and Maritime Services for state-controlled roads and directly to individual councils for local government roads. Note: Applications via the NHVR include all applicable road managers as per application type.
- for travel within Qld - apply directly to the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- for cross-border travel - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: The NHVR processes all cross-border applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.
Note: Operators should check that their vehicle complies with the schedules and conditions in the relevant gazette notice as the permit relevant to this application will reference these same conditions.
Gazette notices - Agricultural vehicles
Post or fax application
Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.
- Agricultural vehicle permit application form (PDF, 649KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally, and saved.