Do I need a Class 3 (Miscellaneous) permit?
You can apply for a Class 3 (Miscellaneous) permit if your heavy vehicle does not comply with mass, dimension or operating requirements set out in a gazette notice. A class 3 permit may also be required if your heavy vehicle is operating under a jurisdictional permit-based scheme. Your application will be assessed against the relevant vehicle standards and safety.
To apply for a Class 3 (Miscellaneous) vehicle permit:
- for travel within ACT/Qld/Tas/Vic - apply through the NHVR Portal.
- for travel within NSW - apply through the NHVR Portal or apply to Roads and Maritime Services for state-controlled roads and to individual councils for local government roads.
- for travel within SA - apply through the NHVR Portal. For more information see the Common Class 3 combinations - South Australia (PDF, 926KB) and NHVR Portal input sheet - South Australia Class 3 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- for cross-border travel - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: The NHVR processes all cross-border applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.
Post or fax application
Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.
- Class 3 (Miscellaneous) permit application form (PDF, 635KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally and saved.