The NHVR provides a number of submissions on various government policies and proposals.
Risk Based Regulation
- NHVR submission to the NTC Risk Based Regulation Issues Paper (PDF, 482KB) - Submission to the National Transport Commission on 31 May 2019.
The NHVR has identified a number of key principles and priorities to guide its involvement in the review process, noting the broad alignment with the priority areas in the NTC’s issues paper.
Improvements in key areas are an obligation, not a choice to deliver a stronger and more flexible platform to improve industry safety and productivity. As outlined in the paper, efficiencies will be delivered by moving from a prescriptive approach which has high costs to an assurance and risk-based approach.
Developing technology neutral road rules for driver distraction
- NHVR submission Developing technology neutral road rules for driver distraction (PDF, 6.9MB) - Submission to the National Transport Commission on 13 February 2019.
In May 2018, the Transport and Infrastructure Council directed the National Transport Commission (NTC) to review the Australian Road Rules that regulate driver distraction to determine whether they sufficiently address the key factors that cause driver distraction. Following a workshop in November 2018, the NTC developed an issues paper to summarise the current understanding of the factors that may cause driver distraction, the behaviours induced by those factors and their potential impacts on road safety.
The NHVR submission provides our response to the questions outlined within the NTC's issue paper Developing technology neutral road rules for driver distraction.
Queensland Freight Strategy
- NHVR submission on Queensland Freight Strategy (PDF, 742KB) - Submission to the Qld Department of Transport and Main Roads on 17 December 2018.
The NHVR supports the development of the draft Queensland Freight Strategy, which focuses on advancing freight, supporting economic growth and managing economic change in Queensland by guiding policy, planning and investment decision making over the next ten years.
The NHVR submission is unique in the sense that we are an industry regulator providing our view of how we see the ‘future state’ of heavy vehicle regulation and its impact on freight movements.
Inquiry into Transport Technology
- NHVR submission on Inquiry into Transport Technology (PDF, 729KB) - Submission to Queensland Parliament Transport and Public Works Committee on 9 October 2018.
Technology and data collection is a critical part of delivering improved road freight outcomes and the NHVR has placed significant priority on positioning itself to adopt and adapt to new technologies alongside the heavy vehicle industry.
The NHVR’s submission to the inquiry considers the challenges and opportunities in relation to technology and the heavy vehicle sector and focuses on the importance of partnering with industry and jurisdictions on the collection and sharing of data to achieve better regulatory outcomes.
NSW Draft Freight and Ports Plan
- NHVR submission on NSW Draft Freight and Ports Plan (PDF, 638KB) - Submission to Transport NSW on 29 March 2018.
The NHVR supports the development of the NSW Draft Freight and Ports Plan, which builds on a number of successful projects delivered as part of the 2013 NSW Freight and Ports Strategy.
The NHVR submission is unique in the sense that we are an industry regulator providing our view of how we see the 'future state' of heavy vehicle regulation and its impact on freight movements. The link between transport infrastructure and land-use planning is critical.