Drought relief - Access permit payment exemption

With drought currently affecting a large region of the country, the NHVR has introduced a permit payment exemption to operators transporting drought relief products to and from drought affected areas.

The following freight types will be accepted as part of the payment exemption:

  • fodder freight (can include fodder used in maintenance and feeding of cattle, sheep, goats, deer, pigs, chickens, working and breeding horses)
  • water cartage freight (includes water carted for stock and supply for emergency animal welfare needs)
  • stock relocating due to drought conditions
  • emergency water infrastructure.

The NHVR is also prioritising drought relief access permits. In order for the NHVR to identify and prioritise your drought relief access request please ensure you list the word DROUGHT in your "Create a new permit application – Reference" and within the "Additional comments and declaration" field of your application

For more information go to Drought heavy vehicle access.

Permits issued by the NHVR

Refer to the table below to determine whether you apply to the NHVR for the permit you need or whether you should apply to a state road transport authority. Responsibility for issuing the permit depends on the heavy vehicle class and the jurisdiction in which you are travelling.

  Class 1 permit
Special Purpose Vehicle,
Oversize Overmass
Class 2 permit
Road Train,
Performance-Based Standards,
Controlled Access Bus
Class 3 permit
Tow truck,
Commodity Scheme permits (MIMS & MEMS),
Mining Trailers
Higher Mass Limits (HML) permit
Journeys across borders
The NHVR will process all applications if your journey is across borders.
Journeys within Qld
If the permit you require is not issued by the NHVR, apply through Transport and Main Roads
Journeys within NSW
#For Class 1 and 3 permits in NSW, you can apply through Roads and Maritime Services and individual councils or you can apply through the NHVR.
# #
Journeys within Vic
Journeys within SA
Journeys within ACT
Journeys within Tas

Please note: The NHVR is currently undertaking a Delegations project that will transition all access permit delegations and application processing back to us by the end of 2018.

Permit application costs

The fee to submit an access permit application is $73.

Please note: The fee payable is an application fee due at the time of lodgement of your application. The application fee can be paid online via debit card or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). If applying by post or fax the application fee can be paid via credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express) or cheque.

As the fee is in relation to the application, the fee may be retained by the NHVR even if the application is ultimately deemed ineligible for a permit. A permit cannot be issued without full payment of the required fees.

Useful documents

Apply for a permit

Before applying, the following links may assist you to plan your journey and identify any specific requirements

  • NHVR Journey Planner – Our interactive online mapping service can help you find approved routes for heavy vehicles on the road network and help you to identify the need to submit an access application.
  • State road transport authority mapping sites – These sites can assist you further with planning your journey. They display authorised heavy vehicle routes within each state, and in some cases, allow you to view additional route information.
  • Notices and permit-based schemes – Due to limitations in web-based mapping services, users need to ensure they consult the relevant gazette notices to identify all conditional and route requirements.