Permits issued by the NHVR
Refer to the table below to determine whether you apply to the NHVR for the permit you need or whether you should apply to a state road transport authority. Responsibility for issuing the permit depends on the heavy vehicle class and the jurisdiction in which you are travelling.
|Class 1 permit
Special Purpose Vehicle,
|Class 2 permit
Controlled Access Bus
|Class 3 permit
Commodity Scheme permits (MIMS & MEMS),
|Higher Mass Limits (HML) permit|
|Journeys across borders
The NHVR will process all applications if your journey is across borders.
|Journeys within Qld|
|Journeys within NSW|
|Journeys within Vic|
|Journeys within SA|
|Journeys within ACT|
|Journeys within Tas|
Permit application costs
Application fees are outlined in the NHVR fee schedule
Please note: The fee payable is an application fee due at the time of lodgement of your application. The application fee can be paid online via debit card or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). If applying by post or fax the application fee can be paid via credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express) or cheque.
As the fee is in relation to the application, the fee may be retained by the NHVR even if the application is ultimately deemed ineligible for a permit. A permit cannot be issued without full payment of the required fees.
- AAB Quad Road Train Permits (PDF, 205KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
- Class 1 Oversize/Overmass - Cane Industry Information Sheet (PDF, 197KB)
- Oversize and Overmass Heavy Vehicle Road Access Applications - Industry Information Sheet (PDF, 236KB)
- Registration changes on permits (PDF, 180KB)
- Single Route and Area - Information Sheet (PDF, 407KB)
- Single Trip, Period Permit and Multiple Trip - Information Sheet (PDF, 333KB)
Apply for a permit
Before applying, the following links may assist you to plan your journey and identify any specific requirements
- Permit applications – NHVR Assessment Process (PDF, 240KB) - Outlines the process in which the NHVR will assess Class 1 and Class 3 permit applications.
- Top tips for operators to reduce application processing time (PDF, 643KB) - The following tips are 5 key things you can to do to facilitate a fast turnaround when you submit an access permit application.
- NHVR Route Planner - The NHVR Route Planner is an interactive, online mapping tool available to plan and save routes for heavy vehicle travel across Australia. It can assist you in finding approved routes for heavy vehicles on a particular road network and highlights where you may be required to submit an access application.
- State road transport authority mapping sites – These sites can assist you further with planning your journey. They display authorised heavy vehicle routes within each state, and in some cases, allow you to view additional route information.
- Notices and permit-based schemes – Due to limitations in web-based mapping services, users need to ensure they consult the relevant gazette notices to identify all conditional and route requirements.