Latest alerts and bulletins
- SB2021-02 - Operation of articulated cranes (PDF, 179KB) - Highlight unique handling and operational characteristics of articulated cranes. It also provides some additional measures that should be followed when operating one of these vehicles on the road network.
To receive these alerts via email please Subscribe to On the Road
Manufacturers in the heavy vehicle industry sometimes issue voluntary recalls for vehicles and/or components that have been found to have safety-related defects.
Under the Chain of Responsibility (CoR), relevant parties in the transport supply chain have an obligation to eliminate or minimise potential harm or loss (risk) by doing all that is reasonably practicable in their business to ensure safety. Having a system in place that allows you to identify vehicles subject to a recall, and taking the required action, are ways to support transport safety.
To help industry identify vehicles/components subject to recalls, the NHVR has listed some of the current high-risk and high-volume recalls relating to heavy vehicles:
A full list of recalls can be found on the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications website www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au
If your vehicle is affected by a recall, please follow the steps as advised by the department.
Previous alerts and bulletins
- SB2021-01 - Dangers of using coiled brake system air hoses (suzi coils) on drawbar type trailers (PDF, 316KB) - Highlight the dangers of inappropriately using suzi coils for air supply to the brake system on self-supporting trailers, such as a dog, pig or tag type trailers, which use an 'A' type coupling system.
- SB2020-01 - COVID-19 - Protecting employees and the community during transport activities (PDF, 65KB) - Highlight the actions that transport operators and other members of the supply chain can take, to protect employees, customers and the community whilst conducting transport activities and using shared facilities.
- SB2019-01 - Reducing the risk of vehicle fires in the heavy vehicle industry (PDF, 384KB) - Raise awareness of the common heavy vehicle fire risks that have been identified and outline some actions that can help mitigate these risks.
- SB2018-01 - Cleaning of heavy vehicles prior to inspection (PDF, 342KB) - Highlight the risks associated with carrying out visual inspections of heavy vehicles that haven’t been appropriately cleaned and prepared by the operator of the vehicle.
- Safety and Compliance Alert SCA-2015-1 (PDF, 380KB)
- Safety and Compliance Alert SCA-2014-1 (PDF, 165KB)