Thinking of applying for PBS?
- As a first step, it is important to consider what safety and productivity benefits you might achieve through the Performance-Based Standards (PBS) scheme. Those benefits should be assessed against the likely costs and risks of submitting an application.
- We recommend that you consult with an approved PBS assessor regarding your design options. PBS assessors have significant experience in PBS. They will be able to advice you on the feasibility of your proposed vehicle design as well as the associated masses, bridge assessment and the level of PBS network compliance.
- You should also investigate road network access at the design development stage. Understanding the level of road network access likely to be granted by road authorities is crucial step when assessing the benefits before submitting an application. You can use the interactive NHVR Route Planner to assist with this. You can also contact the relevant state or territory road transport authority, or our PBS Team if you need more information about road network access.
- Operators wishing to operate a PBS tanker carrying dangerous goods should investigate requirements under the Australian Dangerous Goods (ADG) Code. It is a legislative requirement that all road tank vehicles intended to transport dangerous goods must meet the requirements set out in Chapter 6.9 of the ADG. Operators must obtain a PBS vehicle approval from the NHVR and approval from the Competent Authority in the jurisdiction they wish to operate for the carriage of dangerous goods. PBS vehicles carrying dangerous goods (PDF, 144KB) describes the requirements for PBS approved tankers carrying dangerous goods.
More information and assistance
For questions about vehicle design and approvals, contact our dedicated PBS Team at email@example.com
Please quote your application number (if applicable), company name and vehicle type in the subject line. An application number is a seven character reference number starting with ‘V”, eg V140101.
For questions about access and permits to operate your PBS vehicle on the road, please visit Performance-Based Standards vehicle permit or call 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487). If known, please quote your Regulator Customer Number, your company name, vehicle type and case number.
All PBS Scheme applications and enquiries should be submitted to the NHVR using the following PBS application forms. It is very important that your design approval and road access are confirmed before you build a PBS heavy vehicle. See the PBS approvals flowchart page for more information.
- Design Approval Application Form - Part A (DOCX, 162KB)
- Design Approval Application Form - Part B (DOCX, 97KB)
PBS vehicle approval transfer
Vehicle Approval transfer application form (PDF, 74KB) - Transfer of PBS vehicle ownership or operator name change on existing PBS Vehicle Approval.
Completed forms can be submitted via:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 1300 736 798
- Post: PBS National Heavy Vehicle Regulator PO Box 492 Fortitude Valley QLD 4006