Do you need a Special Purpose Vehicle Permit?
You will need to apply for a class 1 Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) permit if your SPV does not comply with mass, dimension or operating requirements set out in a gazette notice.
To apply for a SPV permit:
- for travel within ACT/SA/Tas/Vic - apply through the NHVR Portal. SA operators looking to submit an application in the NHVR Portal for the first time should read South Australia Class 1 SPV - How to apply (PDF, 378KB).
- for travel within NSW - apply through the NHVR Portal or apply to Roads and Maritime Services for state-controlled roads and directly to individual councils for local government roads.
- for travel within Qld - apply directly to the Department of Transport and Main Roads. You may be required to register as an Approved Heavy Vehicle Haulage Operator (AHHO) and obtain an Authority to Operate (ATO). For more information you will need to contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- for cross-border travel - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: The NHVR processes all cross-border applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.
Note: Operators should check that their vehicle complies with the schedules and conditions in the relevant gazette notice as the permit relevant to this application will reference these same conditions.
Gazette notices - Special Purpose Vehicle access
Post or fax application
Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.
- Special Purpose Vehicle permit application form (PDF, 634KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally and saved.