Third party approvals

What are third-party entities?

Third-party entities are sometimes required by notices, permits or other laws outside the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) to provide approval, or to be consulted, if vehicle movement exceeds certain mass or dimension limits.

Examples of third parties requiring consultation and/or approval include:

  • Police – Oversize heavy vehicle movements may require police escorts and/or traffic diversion.
  • Rail infrastructure managers – The movement of oversize or overmass heavy vehicles across level crossings/rail bridges or restricted access vehicles near rail infrastructure may create risks that need to be managed.
  • Roadwork controllers – Heavy vehicle movements through work sites may need to be coordinated to ensure the site is free from obstructions.
  • Tunnel operators – May need to be contacted to coordinate moves and ensure any special requirements are understood and complied with.
  • Utilities – Restricted access vehicles may have adverse effects on utilities’ infrastructure with over-height vehicles and telecommunications/powerlines being a common concern.

What may trigger a third-party requirement?

When a vehicle movement exceeds certain mass or dimension limits, third-party providers may need to:

  • be notified of the movement
  • assess the proposed route for suitability of the movement
  • provide approval, which may impose conditions, for the movement to occur either over or under assets that they own (in most cases there is a legislated requirement for operators to seek this approval).

Do I need third-party approval?

If an operator is aware of the requirement for third-party approval before an access application is submitted, the operator must obtain approval prior to, or during, the application process. Third party approval is a requirement for access permits.

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) will notify an applicant when consultation and/or approval from a third party is required. The applicant is then responsible to consult and/or obtain consent. The NHVR must be satisfied that third party consent has been obtained, and may at its own discretion require proof of such consents before a permit is issued, or obtained as part of a permit condition.

Third party and other entities contact information