Controlled Access Bus 12.5m-14.5m permit

Do you need a Controlled Access Bus Permit?

A controlled access bus permit is required for travel on a road outside of the approved controlled access bus network. A controlled access bus means a bus, other than an articulated bus, longer than 12.5 metres but not more than 14.5 metres long. The NHVR processes all class 2 controlled access bus permit applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.

Operators should check if their requested route is on an approved controlled access bus route, as they may be able to operate under a gazette notice instead of needing a permit.

If any part of your journey is not on an approved controlled access bus route you will need to apply for a controlled access bus permit through the NHVR Portal.

In the process of seeking consent from the road manager, the NHVR will request the road manager to consider the route to be included as a route approved under the gazette notice.

Note: Operators should check that their vehicle complies with the schedules and conditions in the relevant gazette notice as the permit relevant to this application will reference these same conditions.

Gazette notices - Controlled Access Bus access

State Notice
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
South Australia

National class 2 heavy vehicle controlled access bus authorisation (notice) 2014 (no.1) and national class 3 heavy vehicle controlled access bus rear overhang dimension exemption (notice) 2014 (no.1) (PDF, 650KB)

Please note the following amendment to this notice:

Please note the following supporting document for this notice:

Australian Capital Territory

Road Transport (Mass, Dimensions and Loading) 14.5m Long Bus Exemption Notice 2010 (No. 1)

Online application

Post or fax application

Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.

Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally and saved.