Safety grants support forestry transport

More than 300 participants across the forestry supply chain are expected to attend the next round of safety workshops hosted by the Australian Forestry Contractors Association (AFCA).

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said the safety workshops, which target operators and loaders that contract to the forestry industry, were supported by Commonwealth Government funding through the NHVR’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative program.

“Our commitment to a safer heavy vehicle industry will also improve business outcomes and conditions for the forestry sector,” Mr Petroccitto said.

“The Australian Forestry Contractors Association working with Engistics, have developed new safety material using funding from the program to provide safety advice relating to truck rollover, load restraint risks and Chain of Responsibility obligations for this industry.”

Workshops have already been delivered in key forestry areas including Albany and Bridgetown in southern Western Australia, as well as Caloundra and Gympie in south east Queensland.

The next round of workshops will be delivered in Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia in the coming months.

“The workshops we’ve held so far have been very well attended,” AFCA General Manager Stacey Gardiner said.

“Industry participants have commented that this has allowed them to improve their understanding of Chain of Responsibility laws and hear about recent research and findings regarding key risks specific to industry, especially relating to load restraint.

“The Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative funding has enabled AFCA to deliver a national program of relevant and targeted content, face-to-face to our industry.”

The NHVR is now calling for submissions for the next round of heavy vehicle safety projects. Mr Petroccitto said groups like AFCA were demonstrating how industry-led programs could deliver significant benefits.

“The first two rounds have seen $7.72 million invested in 17 projects, including this project, to improve safety for heavy vehicle drivers, operators and general road users,” he said.

“I encourage other associations and peak bodies with exposure to heavy vehicle safety risks, and that are looking to implement projects to address these risks, to apply for funding under Round 3.”

Applications for Round 3 funding close on February 23, 2018.

Further information at www.nhvr.gov.au/hvsi

Enquiries can be directed to Lauren Tuxworth at the NHVR on 07 3309 8525 or lauren.tuxworth@nhvr.gov.au

 

Contact: Andrew Berkman | 0429 128 637

Search categories: