Do I need a Tow Truck Permit?
You will need to apply for a tow truck permit if your tow truck does not comply with the prescribed mass or dimension requirements.
To apply for a tow truck permit:
- for travel within ACT/Qld/Tas/Vic - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: Queensland has a class 4 tow truck permit-based scheme that allows for the movement of broken down heavy vehicles. For more information contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- for travel within NSW - apply through the NHVR Portal.
- for travel within SA - apply through the NHVR Portal. For more information see the Common Class 3 combinations - South Australia (PDF, 926KB) and the NHVR Portal input sheet - South Australia Class 3 (PDF, 1.2MB).
- for cross-border travel - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: The NHVR processes all cross-border applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.
Please note the Heavy tow trucks information sheet (PDF, 174KB)
Note: Operators should check that their vehicle complies with the schedules and conditions in the relevant gazette notice as the permit relevant to this application will reference these same conditions.
Post or fax application
Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.
- Tow Truck permit application form (PDF, 619KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally and saved.