This application is for operators or owners of heavy vehicles who are seeking approval to modify a heavy vehicle where the modification is outside the NHVR Code of Practice for the Approval of Heavy Vehicle Modifications (PDF, 506KB). An operator or owner can nominate a third party to manage this process on their behalf.
Modifications within the Code will continue to be approved by approved vehicle examiners.
The NHVR will consider vehicle standards and safety issues to decide if the application can be approved. When considering the application, the NHVR will also determine if a vehicle exemption (permit) is required should the modification be approved.
Some vehicles may require road access conditions to be applied. You will be advised if a separate application for for an access permit is needed
Before applying to the NHVR for a heavy vehicle modification:
- Check the NHVR Code of Practice for the Approval of Heavy Vehicle Modifications (PDF, 506KB) (the Code).
- If the modification is within the Code, you can seek approval through an Approved Vehicle Examiner (AVE) and DO NOT need to apply to the NHVR.
- Consider seeking advice from a vehicle modifier, an AVE or the NHVR as to whether you need to apply for approval for a heavy vehicle modification (refer to the classification of heavy vehicle modification section in the Code for guidance).
- Consider if the registration of the vehicle will be impacted by the modification - contact your state or territory road transport authority.
- Consider if the vehicle will also require an access permit.
- DO NOT complete an Exemption permit application if you have completed a modification application.
If a modification application is for:
- multiple vehicles and the modifications are to the same components – you only need a single application.
- multiple vehicles with different modifications – you will need a separate application for each vehicle type and/or type of modification is required.
Applicants should NOT commence a modification of a heavy vehicle without approval by the NHVR under a written statement of requirements issued by the NHVR.
An application is not complete unless all sections are complete and all relevant documents have been submitted with the application form. We will not assess incomplete applications. Refer to the checklist and instructions on each form.
Once an application has been accepted as complete, we will notify you by email of the expected assessment time. We may ask you provide additional information to help us assess your application.
Note: As a result of a vehicle modification, your vehicle may require both a vehicle standards exemption (permit) and an access permit to allow it to operate on the road network. You will be advised if these applications are required. Conditions may also be applied to the vehicle’s registration and you should consult with your registering authority.