In late 2019, the Commonwealth Government provided the NHVR with more than $8 million in funding, to assist road managers with assessments of assets on key local government roads. The project will focus on national heavy vehicle assets (bridges and culverts).
The project will improve heavy vehicle access by:
- identifying current and potential key heavy vehicle routes on local roads
- assisting local governments with the management of road asset data related to heavy vehicles
- providing a central database that contains information on the road asset information and the use of heavy vehicles.
For more information read the Strategic Local Government Asset Assessment Project (SLGAAP) (PDF, 219KB).
To view the project progress and receive updates go to https://nhvr.engagementhub.com.au
There are 2 Phases in the Strategic Local Government Asset Assessment Project.
- Phase 1 - the Pilot Phase tests the assessment principles with pilot councils and jurisdictions.
- Phase 2 - the Deliver Phase will roll out to a larger number of councils based on adjustments made from the Pilot Phase.
Phase 1 (Pilot)
There are 12 Local Governments participating in the pilot:
- New South Wales - Bega Valley Shire Council, Cessnock City Council, Muswellbrook Shire Council
- Queensland - Central Highlands Regional Council, Isaac Regional Council, Mackay Regional Council, Toowoomba Regional Council
- South Australia - Barossa Council
- Victoria - Glenelg Shire Council, City of Greater Dandenong, Pyrenees Shire Council
- Western Australia - Town of Port Hedland.
Engineering assessments for 100 assets are currently underway and due for completion in 2020. The assessment results will be published in the NHVR Route Planner, giving road managers and industry the ability to select the best route for their vehicle movements.
Phase 2 (Deliver)
Commencing in July 2020, additional heavy vehicle road assets will be assessed.
All local governments who wish to nominate assets for consideration are asked to email their expression of interest to the project inbox: firstname.lastname@example.org noting ‘EOI SLGAAP Phase 2’ in the subject.
Database for sharing road asset information
A database for sharing the road asset information gathered during the project delivery will be provided to road managers and the heavy vehicle industry. It is intended that this database will help support the road access application processes and improve access decision-making.
Local Government Asset Assessment Toolkit
The NHVR will start to coordinate training sessions to assist road managers in accessing the road asset data via the central database.
A Local Government Asset Assessment Toolkit will be available to support road managers in applying the asset assessment framework and guide a standard approach to heavy vehicle assessments.
For more information on the NHVR Strategic Local Government Asset Assessment Project, contact the project team on email@example.com or call 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487).