Media release

Expanded national road train network to unlock freight productivity

A new road train network for Victoria, improvements to cross-border travel and fewer requirements for access permits will begin under a new national road train notice.

Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said the 2020 National Class 2 Road Train Notice will commence on Thursday in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria, where road trains carry more than 15 billion tonnes-km of freight every year.

Second coming for NHVR’s Gap Assessment Tool

A modern online safety assessment tool has been revamped to assist heavy vehicle operators to identify gaps in their safety systems.

Queensland Transport and Main Road Minister Mark Bailey said the NHVR’s Gap Assessment Tool had been simplified and upgraded to assist operators to examine their current systems against known risks and recognised best practice.

“Heavy vehicle operators tell us they want a quick and easy tool to assess their business’s safety compliance with their Chain of Responsibility obligations,” Mr Bailey said.

Updated Notices bring increased benefits with reduced costs

Almost one-third of New South Wales oversize overmass (OSOM) permits will be removed under updated Class 1 notices released today.

NSW Regional Transport and Roads Minister Paul Toole said the updated Multi-State Class 1 Load Carrying Vehicles Dimension and Mass Exemption Notices would cut red tape and allow increased mass and dimensions in both NSW and South Australia.

“In New South Wales, the mass has been increased up to 115 tonnes and the width has been increased up to 5.0 metres,” Mr Toole said.

600 a day use service centre finder

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator’s (NHVR) service centre map is proving popular, having been utilised by more than 600 people a day since it was launched on April 9.

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said the map displayed service centres that were still open and providing facilities to truck drivers as they continue to deliver essential supplies across the country.

“There have now been over 6500 individual views of the map since we launched earlier this month,” Mr Petroccitto said.

$249,500 enforceable undertaking for chain of responsibility education

Legal photo

The NHVR has accepted an enforceable undertaking (EU) from Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd (LORAC) that will see $249,500 contributed to chain of responsibility education. 

The EU stems from an allegation by Roads and Maritime Services that on 16 October 2018 and 24 May 2019 LORAC failed to comply with the mass requirements as required by s 96(1)(c) of the Heavy Vehicle National Law.

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said that the EU was a first for the NHVR and was an appropriate alternative to prosecution in the circumstances. 

Map makes finding a place to rest easier

Mapping tool

The NHVR has today launched a new online tool that maps service centres, truck stops and roadhouses that remain open for heavy vehicle drivers.

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said that the tool provided information about services and trading hours for service centres right across the country.

“Having access to food, showers, toilets and appropriate rest is critical for drivers to properly manage their fatigue,” Mr Petroccitto said.

Heavy vehicle safety remains a focus

Heavy vehicle operators are being urged to ensure their operations remain safe as unprecedented demand puts pressure on freight supply chains.

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto reminded operators of their Chain of Responsibility obligations and to avoid putting drivers under undue pressure.

“We’re concerned by reports that drivers are under increased pressure to meet deadlines,” Mr Petroccitto said.

“We need to avoid situations where drivers are being forced to exceed their work and rest hours or ignore poor load restraint practices.”

NHVR reducing burden on industry accreditation

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) has announced temporary changes to National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS) medical requirements and face-to-face audit requirements, in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said the regulator has listened to the industry and the common-sense changes would be implemented from today (Wednesday March 25).
“We are making some practical changes that will help to take pressure off the health system and support operators and drivers in a time of unprecedented demand,” Mr Petroccitto said. 

Freight continues despite cross border restrictions

Several state and territory road managers have placed restrictions on cross-border movements this week as a control measure against the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

All governments have committed to ensuring that freight movements continue under these restrictions.

Operators should be aware that there may be some delays where border checks are in place.

A summary of information available to date from state and territory governments can be found here https://bit.ly/39eNjc4