In 2020 the NHVR conducted an Industry Safety Survey to measure the extent to which businesses within the heavy vehicle industry have implemented a basic Safety Management System (SMS).
Nearly 4,000 people responded from a wide cross section of industry employees, including drivers, managers and operators.
The survey questions explored the following topics:
- safety risk management
- safety assurance
- safety promotion and training
- frequency and review of safety practices.
The survey also asked about industry understanding of vehicle safety technologies.
Here is a snapshot of the survey results
We also did a breakdown of the results for different sectors.
- Heavy Vehicle Industry Safety Survey 2020 - Construction and Landscape Products Sector (PDF, 125KB)
- Heavy Vehicle Industry Safety Survey 2020 - Owner Drivers (PDF, 119KB)
- Heavy Vehicle Industry Safety Survey 2020 - General Freight Sector (PDF, 137KB)
- Heavy Vehicle Industry Safety Survey 2020 - Primary Production and Farming Sector (PDF, 125KB)
- Heavy Vehicle Industry Safety Survey 2020 - Sub-contractor Drivers (PDF, 117KB)
Amanda Capper GAICD, Manager Safety Policy & Risk presented a webinar on Wednesday 4 November 2020 to share and discuss the results of the survey.