The Queensland Parliament passed the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) Amendment Bill 2012 (Qld) on 14 February 2013.
The Heavy Vehicle National Law Act 2012 (Qld) can be viewed on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.
- On 2 May 2013, the Heavy Vehicle National Law (South Australia) Bill 2013 and the Statutes Amendment (Heavy Vehicle National Law) Bill 2013 were introduced in the House of Assembly in South Australia.
- On 28 May 2013, the Heavy Vehicle National Law Application Act 2013 (Vic) passed through the Legislative Council in Victoria and was assented to by the Governor on 4 June 2013.
- On 29 May 2013, the Heavy Vehicle (Adoption of National Law) Bill 2013 (NSW) was introduced into the Legislative Council in NSW following passage through the lower house.
This means that every participating mainland state has now enacted or introduced laws that will establish the NHVR’s ongoing national role and legal powers.
In addition to passing the HVNL, states and territories agreed to four regulations made under the new national law.
The regulations were made by the Queensland Governor following unanimous approval by state and territory transport ministers and will commence at the same time as the HVNL. The regulations were first published on the NSW Legislation website on 31 May, and are also available on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website using the links below.
- Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation 2013
- Heavy Vehicle (Mass, Dimension and Loading) National Regulation 2013
- Heavy Vehicle (Fatigue Management) National Regulation 2013
- Heavy Vehicle (General) National Regulation 2013
Once all participating states and territories have passed their enabling legislation, Australia’s transport ministers have agreed that the Heavy Vehicle National Law will commence on 1 September 2013.