1. Investigate your options
- Consult with a PBS Assessor about your vehicle concept.
- Investigate road networks the vehicle will be able to access.
- Use the NHVR Journey Planner to view existing PBS networks. Note that local council roads may not have been assessed for PBS vehicles.
- Consider if the vehicle could be operated under an existing notice.
- Note that vehicles requiring an individual bridge (Tier 3) or route assessment may attract significant charges and may take an extended period of time to be completed.
2. Vehicle assessment
- Engage a PBS Assessor to analyse the vehicle design to the PBS standards. Fees will apply.
- Assessor will submit an application to the Regulator for a Design Approval.
3. Design Approval
- The Regulator processes the Design Approval application and sends the application to the PBS Review Panel (PRP) for advice.
- The PRP consists of representatives from each jurisdiction.
- The PRP reviews the application and provides advice back to the Regulator.
- If approved, the Regulator issues a Design Approval.
4. Source the combination and certify
- Build/buy the vehicle combination in accordance with the Design Approval specification.
- Engage a PBS Certifier to inspect the vehicle. Fees will apply.
- The Certifier will forward the inspection report to the Regulator if the vehicle meets the Design Approval specification.
5. Vehicle Approval
- The Regulator reviews the inspection report and, provided the vehicle complies with the Design Approval, issues a Vehicle Approval.
- The Vehicle Approval will show the VINs of the vehicles approved and operating conditions.
6. Apply for Access permit
- Note that road managers may restrict axle masses and/or stipulate additional operating conditions to suit particular roads or bridges.
- Unless the PBS vehicle can operate under an existing notice, it will require an access permit for the operation on the road.
- Apply for a Performance-Based Standards vehicle access permit.
This information can also be downloaded as the Performance-Based Standards (PBS) approval process - Information sheet (PDF, 114KB).