Do I need an Oversize Overmass Permit?
You may need to apply for a class 1 Oversize Overmass (OSOM) permit if your OSOM combination does not comply with a mass, dimension or operating requirements set out in a gazette notice.
To apply for an Oversize Overmass permit:
- for travel within ACT/SA/Tas/Vic - apply through the NHVR Portal. Please note that VicRoads has updated pilot requirements in Victoria. For more information read the Guide for pilot requirements in Victoria information sheet (PDF, 221KB).
- for travel within NSW - apply through the NHVR Portal or apply to Roads and Maritime Services for state-controlled roads and directly to individual councils for local government roads.
- for travel within Qld - apply directly to the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- for cross-border travel - apply through the NHVR Portal. Note: The NHVR processes all cross-border applications except for travel within the Northern Territory and Western Australia. For these jurisdictions, apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.
Note: Operators should check that their vehicle complies with the schedules and conditions in the relevant gazette notice as the permit relevant to this application will reference these same conditions.
Pilot and escort requirements
- Pilot and escort requirements (PDF, 187KB) - Provides a brief overview of pilot and escort requirements in all jurisdictions.
Please note: State and territory road transport authorities regulate all aspects of piloting/escorting, including who may operate as a pilot/escort vehicle driver and when they are required to accompany a load.
Multiple Loads on Class 1 Load-Carrying Vehicles
- Multiple Loads on Class 1 Load-Carrying Vehicles (PDF, 722KB) - Clarifies the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) requirements when transporting more than one large invisible item or other goods with a large indivisible item on Class 1 load-carrying vehicles.
Gazette notices - Oversize Overmass access
Post or fax application
Please note: If you apply through post or fax, all correspondence relating to that application will be done through the same channel.
- Oversize Overmass permit application form (PDF, 524KB)
- Additional Axle Mass and Spacings attachment (PDF, 290KB)
Note: Please right-click on a form and save it to your computer, rather than opening it up directly in your web browser. The form can then be opened locally and saved.